American Nanny Jobs lets you find the best nanny jobs in the United States!

About American Nanny Jobs    |     Register Here     |     Search Jobs     |     Home

[Return to Questions]

I am looking for a nanny job in the USA.
What do you mean by "US work authorization required"?
How do you get a US Work Visa or Permit?

register for nanny jobs here

In the United States, a family may legally hire a U.S. citizen, an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence, or an alien with a valid work permit. US employers are required to verify a candidate's employment eligibility using Form I-9. Agencies cannot represent you for employment if you are not authorized to work in the United States.

Individuals applying for work in the United States must have one of the following BEFORE they can legally be hired to work:

  • US Citizenship.
  • A 'Green Card' - this means you are an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
  • A valid work permit. [  More Information]

IMPORTANT UPDATE APRIL 2005: New regulations issued by the US Department of Labor have upgraded the category for live in domestic workers from unskilled to skilled workers. Under the US quota system, this places the foreign applicant in a position where visas are currently available except for applicants from China, India and the Philippines. has been advised that this DOES NOT apply to domestics already living and working in the US.

To Qualify:

  1. Applicant must have at least one year of experience as a household domestic worker.
  2. Applicant must be offered a full-time, permanent position in the US.
  3. The potential employer must apply for and receive approved Labor Certification from The Department of Labor.
  4. The employer must prove that your employment as a live in household worker is a business necessity.
  5. Employment offer must include a written contract and the wage paid must meet prevailing wage tests (for example no less than $7.04 per hour in Metro-DC or $281.60 for a 40 hour work week [5/1/2005]).
  6. All US employment law, including the payment of employment taxes, must be adhered to. recommends that employers interested in this contact an attorney specializing in immigration matters. Our staff is not qualified to discuss visa and immigration matters with potential employers and applicants. Ira Denhoffer, P.C., Attorney at Law handles domestic worker immigrant petitions and welcomes employer and applicant phone calls at 212.239.4215.

This web site is NOT affiliated with any US Au Pair Program. Neither this web site nor the individual families recruiting here can legally hire a foreign national to work as a nanny in the United States without the appropriate visa. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible for a foreign nanny applicant to obtain either a US immigrant visa or a temporary work authorization in a timely manner.

Use this link to locate US Embassies and Consulates worldwide where visa information may be obtained.

 US Citizenship and Immigration Services
 US Immigration Overseas Offices
 US AU PAIR PROGRAMS - US Department of State
 How Do I Get a U.S. Work Permit?: Information from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

[Return to Questions]

register for nanny jobs here

Families Searching Nannies | Agencies Enroll Here | Contact American Nanny Jobs
View Disclaimer | Site Map